Sunday 26 January 2014

Make breakfast while you sleep!

Do you struggle to find time to have breakfast everyday? We certainly do! It's hard enough just getting out of the door - so breakfast is always the first thing we skip to get to work on time. Lazy Girl F and I were looking into ideas for achievable breakfasts and came across this one that does its magic while you are sleeping... it sounded like just the thing for us!


I had heard a lot of people talk about "Overnight Oats" or 'Refrigerator Oats' before and to be honest, it did not sound very appealing. I thought it would taste like creepy, cold, soggy porridge. So I was pleasantly surprised when I tried it - it was really tasty!!


OVERNIGHT OATS RECIPE


Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup quick oats
  • 1/4 cup shredded coconut
  • 1 Tablespoon chia seeds
  • 1 Teaspoon vanilla protein powder
  • 1-2 drops of vanilla essence
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • Defrosted frozen raspberries
Method:
  1. Put the dry ingredients into your jar and give it a little stir
  2. Add the milk and stir
  3. Leave in the fridge overnight
  4. In the morning add berries
  5. Enjoy

You can make heaps of variations of this recipe, for example: cinnamon, honey and banana instead; or mango and mint leaves; or grated pear with cinnamon and nutmeg; or fresh blueberries with flaked almonds... You can add your own personal flair to your overnight oats to keep things interesting. I'm even thinking of trying out substituting the oats with quinoa flakes next time!

I recommend finding yourself some super cute jars to help get you motivated and to make preparation much easier. I use old jam jars with thigh lids so that I can take it on my commute and eat at my desk if I'm running late. 


My Lazy Girlfriend Mel, likes to prepare all of the dry ingredients into her jars for the week so that she only has to worry about adding the milk the night before. This means her breaky is perfect everyday!


Lazy Girl F and I love this breakfast because it is so easy to prepare, it's healthy, it fills you up for ages AND it actually tastes good! 


Lazy Girl A xx

1 comment: